Meaning is vital and is the purpose for reading.Understanding the book, before and during reading, allows the reader to make informed guesses of unfamiliar words.
- Discuss the title and cover of the book with your child.
- Discuss the pictures of the whole book, or most of the book.
- Ask your child to look for anything interesting in the pictures and talk about what might be happening at that point in the story. Ask-what do you think is going to happen in the story?
- Relate the experience in the book to your child. Has this ever happened to you? Remember when ……What do you already know about…..?
- Introduce new or difficult words and phrases to the discussion, e.g. ….. is another word for ….. , Do you know ………….? , It means ……………, ‘Day after day’ is the same as ‘every day’.
- NOW your child is ready to read.