Assisting with writing

writing1This student is well into her series of lessons and she is experiencing various ways of solving words as she is writing her daily sentences.

After a discussion about her text “A Bike For Alex” she composed a sentence about her own bike

She wrote- I got a new bike and it was broken but my Mum and Dad fixed it.

new bike

Some words were already known and she needed no intervention from me: I, got, a, new, and, was, but, my, mum, Dad, it.

Bike was solved by comparing it to a known word- like (analogy). I asked her to spell like and I quickly wrote it on the top page and I told her she could use it to work out how to spell bike, which she easily did.

For broken and fixed she used letter boxes. Each box represents one letter and she was required to think about which letters she would expect to SEE. This is different to just thinking about the sounds that she can hear (sound boxes). (HRSW)

For broken she quickly wrote bro. I had asked her if she expected to see a c or a k and she correctly chose k. She then wrote brokne. I helped her to change the ending by covering it with tape and asking her what else it could be.

Before I gave her the outline of the letter boxes for fixed I asked her to try to write it herself. She wrote ficet. She tried it again using the letter boxes and she quickly wrote fix. The ending puzzled her until I had her compare it to looked. (The ending sounds like a t but it is represented by ed.)writing1

Lots of work goes into the 8 -10 minutes of writing!

If you would like to explore this topic further you may like to download the following article. It is written for Reading Recovery teachers but if you skip past the wordy beginning you can read some more examples of assisting children to solve words as they are writing. Powerful Teaching Interactions in Writing: Lessons from Reading Recovery Teachers