Writing about reading

Our last Reading Recovery Ongoing Professional Development session concentrated on lifting the performance of our students in writing.

Currently the students are mostly writing shorter sentences, and choosing easier words compared to those that they can read within their books. Our tutor challenged us to enable our students to compose messages that reflect the complexity of the reading levels that they are reading. 

One of the suggestions from our tutor was to have the student ‘write about reading’, i.e. to occasionally pick out 3 words from a recently read book and to use these words as a basis to compose an interesting piece of writing.

The following examples are what my students wrote the 1st time I tried out this useful idea.

Each student was responsible for looking through a book to pick out 3 ‘interesting’ words which I wrote on a small whiteboard. We then talked about possible ideas and phrases that could contain the 3 ‘special’  words. Each student surprised me by how efficiently he / she adapted to this scaffolding (support) for composing. I thought that they did a great job for a 1st attempt at including specific words.

STUDENT 1  (Roaming)
Ben made a puzzle. It is a dinosaur puzzle.
Based on Ben’s Jigsaw Puzzle. Level 5

STUDENT 2 (my go-to student when one on my RR students is away)
Nick and Snowy were playing on the swing. The teddy had to be white so he had a wash.
Based on Snowy Gets A Wash. Level 7

STUDENT 3
Baby Bear and Mother Bear went into the forest to get some nuts. The squirrels were hiding some nuts.
Based on Baby Bear Climbs A Tree. Level 9

STUDENT 4
The spark came from the mower. The firefighters put water on the fire from the hose on the fire engine.
Based on Fire At The Farm. Level 14 / 15

I am going to continue to use this idea of picking out 3 words for a while, as I think it will positively impact on the students’ vocabulary. (i.e. students may naturally use more interesting words in their daily sentences, even when they are not asked to pick out any specific words from their reading.)  The student is only reading 1 familiar book to free up more time for writing.

2 thoughts on “Writing about reading