Making a book

Over the past week one of my students has made a book called ‘About My Family’. She finds this to be easy to read (compared to the purchased books that she also reads) because she composed it, and therefore it is very meaningful to her.

Every day she added a new page. She dictated the sentence to me and then she drew a picture to go with it.

Each day she remade a jumbled version of the new sentence. Sometimes she could remake it without looking at her book. Sometimes she had a peek to remind herself of what came next.

Each sentence had been written in a different colour. She had to sort her words into separate colours before she remade them.

She grew in confidence as she became faster, and more accurate on her own.

Eventually she had 5 sentences that she could easily read and remake herself.

She is learning to sort the words in different ways, e.g. words that are exactly the same, and words that begin with the same 1st letter. (You may notice that she has missed a few matches in the following example, but she may notice next time!)

Eventually she will be able to take this book back to her classroom where she can keep it in her book box and read it to herself, and to others.